Tuesday, October 02, 2012

I'm better today.

Patrick, being the knight in shining armor that he is, whisked me away to Cannon Beach, Oregon last weekend, and it gave me much-needed relief from all that horrible anxiety. The trip was complete with the world's biggest bookstore, ocean, trees, a fireplace, wine, seafood and chocolate. Everything a girl needs! Powell's, the bookstore, fairly shell-shocked me. My brain just didn't work for ages after setting foot in there. It was amazing, like having been given a horse tranquilizer (I'd imagine). I got to see a bunch of interesting works, like one from the year 1480 about Jewish history by Flavius Josephus, translated into Latin from Aramaic and Greek, a signed first edition Hemingway (The Sun Also Rises? I can't remember.), and a signed first edition Huckleberry Finn, among many others. Crazy.

During the trip I managed to both somehow break the temples of my sunglasses (without so much as scratching the lenses?!) and lose my credit card, but we canceled it immediately and it ended up being found by some nice couple who Googled me and found my folks, called every number they could find for me, and so forth, then were thoughtful enough to cut it up when I asked and text me a picture to show they did it. If you happen to be reading this blog, Aaron and Alissa, y'all are awesome!

Here are pictures from the trip and when we got home. Evidently everything in the house decided to try cheering me up by blooming. As always, click for larger versions.

Panoramic taken while sitting on our porch at Cannon Beach.
I feel like I'm inside an inspirational poster.
Viewpoint before Cannon Beach. You can see it down there, straight ahead.
From our porch.
Wandering along the beach looking at tidepools.
Sunset from our little cottage.
Honeybee I rescued. He was stuck in the watery sand near the ocean's edge. I fished him out, dried him off, and put him here. No creature should ever have to drown.
Getting close to sunset at Cannon Beach.
Panoramic from viewpoint before the beach.
Panoramic of Cannon Beach, OR.
Viewpoint before we got to the beach.
Spooning chocolate with cream, milk, and a chocolate mousse at the Cannon Beach Chocolate Cafe.
Christmas cactus getting ready to bloom.
Croton blooming! These flowers creeped me out the first time I saw them.
Hibiscus about to bloom! First time in 6 years...
Lipstick plant blooming! I've spotted 17 flowers so far.
Detail of lipstick flowers. None of these plants have any idea what month it is.

8 comments:

+Rei Bathory+ said...

I'm so glad you had a nice trip, darling! <3 And how awesome that you got to go to that amazing bookstore! ^^ I would have loved to have seen those old books! And you saved a bee?! You have a much bigger heart than I! I would have been too scared that I would've gotten stung! O.O; Beautiful pictures all around as always, I'm glad you're feeling better! Patrick is so awesome for doing this for you! Give him a hug for me! <3 Have a lovely evening, darling! <3 <3 <3 *

+Rei Bathory+

Jennifer said...

Oh, I'm so glad that your weekend getaway brought you back to the happy side of life. The beach is lovely, and your plants are gorgeous (as ever). Here's hoping this better mood sticks around for a while. Thanks a ton, Patrick!

Adrasteia said...

I did indeed save a honeybee! I've saved many bee-type things in my life, actually. Bumblebees and honeybees are the cutest, though. The trick is to not lift from underneath them. If one is in the water, you just put your finger next to it and allow it to climb up onto your finger. Then you can place it somewhere safer. Basically the same with this little one, but I had to scoop him out a bit. I was happy he didn't sting me!

Adrasteia said...

ME TOO! I hated feeling like that. I'm so grateful for Patrick. I'm glad you liked the pictures! It was nice to come home and see everything and its mother had decided to bloom for me, haha. Of course the orchids, roses and fuchsia are still at it as well, so we have live flowers everywhere around this place.

Rachel Noel said...

Ahh, the shots from on the beach are all insanely beautiful! I might have to change my computer background ;) I'm glad someone else shares my affinity for honey and bumble bees. They're furry and adorable. So glad you're feeling better!

Margaret said...

Cannon Beach is amazing and I'm so glad that it revitalized you. The photos are postcard worthy!!

Adrasteia said...

Thank you, ladies! It did indeed make me feel much better. Soooo glad we did it! It was a huge relief to get away for a couple days.

Kacey said...

Look at those amazing, beautiful pictures!! There was a signed Huck Finn? I am a big Mark Twain fan; I would have been dumfounded. I am so relieved for you that you were able to have such a restorative weekend. I love you! xoxo